Learn more about Gerard, one of our runners on team Tell Every Amazing Lady® for the 2019 NYC Half Marathon!
- How did you become involved with T.E.A.L.®? My wife and I annually participate in the T.E.A.L.® Walk in Prospect Park as part of Colleen’s Team. Maureen’s mother, the captain of Colleen’s team, is an ovarian cancer survivor for 11 years. Sadly, Maureen’s aunt passed away from ovarian cancer about five years ago. Each year, we have a crew of about 10-15 people for the Walk, and it provides us with a time for reflection and thankfulness.
- What is your goal for the United Airlines NYC Half? I’d like to safely train and break a time of one hour and fifty minutes.
- What do you love most about running? In our social media driven society today, we devote so little time to introspection and self-improvement. I love running because it gives me time to do both. Some times I can zone out and just enjoy Central Park. Other times, I allow myself time to organize my thoughts.
- If you had the power to make a difference or change in one thing related to ovarian cancer, what would it be? Based on what I’ve seen, read, and heard, the best way to beat ovarian cancer is to be proactive. If I could change anything to make a difference, I would like to educate as many people, women and men, about how to be proactive in the fight to protect yourself and identify ovarian cancer.
- What message would you send to every amazing lady about ovarian caner, or to just one special lady? You have the strength within you to continue. Fight like a girl!